Tuesday 14 June 2011

Joke is over

I did a warm up and a few strides, very sore doing anything faster than jogging so time to pull the pin. Happy enough that I did everything possible to run a decent time. I knew I was playing with fire with a rushed prep and wouldn't do anything differently given the short build up time available. Will rest for the next few weeks and still head up to the Gold Coast and jog the marathon, hopefully all these long runs under the belt will come in handy if I ever decide to try another one.

On a positive, it gave me some extra time to head to McDonalds for my standard 6x Cheeseburgers. Seriously how good is Macca's? I was watching Masterchef and some fancy pants chef had the contestants preparing a burger and chips. Seriously mate, Macca's Cheeseburgers are perfection, give up.

As soon as I parked the car I could smell Lamb Shanks and the awesome aroma was coming from Millie's kitchen, woohoo. I can't wait to get stuck in, and i'm told she's also got sticky date pudding with cookies and cream ice cream for dessert. I'll be 80kg's by the time Gold Coast comes around.

8 comments:

  1. Tough luck mate. I know how much time, effort and planning you've put into this prep, and seen first hand from a few runs that its not all fun and games. Maybe also use all this prep to squeeze in a few shorter races before bub number 2 comes, otherwise you might never get back to race weight, esp with Maccas and Tim Tams etc. Then all you'll be good for is masters, and massage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear it mate but wise in the long run. I'm guessing the decision is a big weight off your shoulders.

    So how much do you owe me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, it is a relief. I'm looking forward to see some time in the gym and feeling fresh and pain free for the build up to track season.

    I don't think we had any bets Tom, unless you're ready to accept <2:30.00 or our special 200m race?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also sad to hear your out.
    Your mileage was huge, perhaps a factor?
    By the way nothing beats a Whopper except perhaps a Double Whopper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tiger, don't quit on the marathon plans, why not look towards either M7, Adelaide or Melbourne. Personally I'd recommend Melbourne. You've got a huge base and it would be a shame to ditch all the hard work now. I had a shocking run with injuries prior to my last and at times spent more time on the bike or in the pool. Still managed to run a decent time. Injuries can do more mental damage than physical if u let them. You could always treat GC as a dress rehearsal, for say Melbourne. Run 25 km's easy and then do the final 17.2 at 3:45 pace. Wear a chest strap and make use if the heart rate data in preparation for an all out crack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bull, certainly haven't given up. Would've liked to have a patient build up, Sydney was originally the plan. But our second is due in August that's why I pushed it forward to Gold Coast and built up so quickly. Problem with Melbourne is that it's too close to track season. I'll try again next year, probably Sydney depending on how this track season goes.

    Hi Dave, glad you're a burger fan, the whoppers are a bit soggy for me. The mileage was alot less than the last 2 years, the increase from 400/800m to marathon volume was too rapid. Had only missed two days in six years, was starting to think I was unbreakable, apparently i'm not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear Tiger, you gave it a good shot!!

    Enjoy the trip anyway and hopefully you'll be back to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like i'm out for at least 8 weeks. Had an ultrasound today, severe Plantar Fasciitis both feet, including a 13mm tear in the left foot. Will be in a boot for 6-8 weeks, will be super fresh for the build up to track season.

    ReplyDelete