Sunday 1 July 2012

Gold Coast

Thursday

Complete Rest


Friday

10km-49:10 (4:55kms) With Copey, Troopy and Gillard Gold Coast

Went away more excited about catching up on some much needed sleep then anything else. I had a great sleep Thursday night and felt invincible.

For the first time since he was born the little fella has been healthy all week, not surprisingly Millie called me and said he crawled for the first time on Thursday and spoke his first word on Friday. Of course his first word was 'dadda' :-) By Friday arvo Gold Coast was the last place I wanted to be and I was thinking about jumping on a plane home. Note to self, I'm never voluntarily leaving my family behind again.


Saturday

AM

Gold Coast 10km-35:19 55th (although 2 people I beat are ahead of me in the results, like the old City to Surf days)

I felt great on the start line, in fact I've never felt better for a race. This is definitely the race prep I'll do from now on for goal long races. Disappointed with the time, it's nice to be ambitious but realistically the writing was on the wall last Saturday (6km TT in 3:29kms). Happy with how I raced, I fought for every position, but that's all I had. On the positive it was 30+ seconds faster than the last race and heaps of improvement to come, pretty sure a good race is just around the corner, hopefully Saturday at Road Relays.

PM

3km+9km

Out for an easy run with Megsy plus another 9km later in the arvo.


Sunday

20km-80:00 (4:00kms) Solo all over the shop

Up and out the door by 3:45am, wanted to give myself enough time to ride the bike I hired to the start for Megsy's 1/2. Somehow I still missed the start despite hammering the 2nd half of my run. Megsy ran a blinder 83:42 for a 6min pb only 12 weeks back from a fibula stressy.

Next the marathon, I rode back to the 22km mark to see the leaders while waiting for JB. Things didn't work out today for JB, he ran a brave race and fought like a champion but had to pull the pin at 35km. Disappointed for him, he deserved a big pb for all the work he put in. Back to the drawing board, he's fit as a fiddle, he'll get his due reward just a little later than we hoped.

Well done to Tom, he looked bloody awesome while everyone around him was falling apart in the heat...and just for a change I owe him another $50 for my slow 10km.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Gary if you fought for every place let yourself feel fulfilled , well done, Tom outstanding and Copey if I'm not mistaken not far off age group course; record need to check that out, glad Qld turned on the sun for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After Thursday the weather was beautiful, except for the marathoners. Copey won the 10km-30:10 14 years ago, his last 5x 10km races have all been within 2sec of 31:50, what a champ!

    ReplyDelete