Wednesday 30 May 2012

Castletown

Wednesday

AM
7km-34:53 (4:59kms) Solo Hen and Chicken Bay

PM
17km-82:00 (4:49kms) + 4x100m hill sprints. With Poopey and Copey Concord Foreshore

2 horses were on the loose and freaked out when they saw me, the Castletown look alike panicked and headed straight at me flat out. I jumped the fence and nearly crapped my duds...again! Jockeys sure are brave fellas, over 500kg staring me in the face was close to the scariest moment of my life, I came away unscathed apart from some superficial barbed wire scratches. Anyway because we are not very smart we ran past them again and the nervous Nellie charged again but we managed to coax them back on to the proper side of the fence, that's the last time I run there for a while.

Apart from Rebecca Burgess in Year 11, Castletown was my 1st love. An absolute warhorse, I backed it and the classy Paris Lane to place in the 1992 Melbourne Cup and also the trifecta with the winner Subzero amongst my boxed trifecta. It started my love affair with punting and especially on The Cup, use the pool and find the value. I can't remember how much it paid, but I was the new richest kid in school, even more cashed up than Abers the local pot vender.





2 comments:

  1. I've spooked two horses up here - bityh have had riders with them. Both times they weren't expecting to see someone come out of the bush - especially a runner.

    Have seen a couple of horses on the road too. Wide, wide berth and looking for exit strategies. They were calm. Scary f*ckers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Subzero and Paris Lane in the Quinella. Paid 12 to 1 from memory and I had $30 on that. Forgot about Castletown after being given the tip before the race.

    ReplyDelete