Tuesday 17 January 2012

What is the average persons 400m?

Mon

AM - Strength + Row 6km 23:48
PM - 40min Stationary Bike

Tue

AM - Strength + Row 10x500m(1), avg 1:52.5
PM - 40min Stationary Bike

Went to see Ben Liddy the fastest 800m physio in Sydney this afternoon. If anyone needs a good physio with an excellent understanding of running mechanics send me a message. Hard to be certain but he suspects some bruising on the heel, so hopefully it'll heal quite quickly with some rest. I'm back in the boot for a few more days, great chance to freshen up for one last hard block of training and racing before the season ends.

Some time ago a group of us on a long run were hypothesizing as to what the average person could run for 400m off no specific training. Our predictions ranged from 60sec to 80sec, I guessed 64ish but sub 60 if they were active. Last month we had a bit of a chance to test the theory with a mate who hadn't run a single step for 12 months and weighed in a whopping 90kg's of pure lard. He zipped around King George's Oval on an uncut grass goat track in 56.0sec, I guess the only thing we learned is that he isn't average.

Anyone care to give their opinion?

4 comments:

  1. Tell me what your average person is. 30-40 yr old male? What would Eddie Maguire run? I would say 72s, but make sure St John's Ambos are parked on the sidelines.
    56s is phenomenal. My PB from aged 15 is 57s. I don't think I could beat that now. But I reckon with a bit of speed work I could run a 2:05.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mind it was a 35ish yr old male, I sincerely hope Eddie McGuire is not the average Aussie. 57 is quick for a slow twitcher, you'd only have to get down to the same time to have a chance of a sub 2min.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked the NSW Little A's records, as an 8 year old Rosemary Hayward ran 66.5. We're in a terrible state if the average adult male can't run faster than the fastest 8 year old girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked them too, and that's the National record, not just NSW. Amazing how Suzy Walsham was setting records at age 10.
    MC reckons half the HuRT Squad couldn't break 70s, and they are the ones that put themselves on the line.

    ReplyDelete