Tuesday 17 May 2011

Plodding

I've managed 3 consecutive days of 'running', 6km, 9km and 7km all at about 4:30km avg. Still painful during and after running, but feeling better in the mornings and at work so I think i'm on the way up.

I'll keep up all the treatment (icing, massage, icing, orthotics, icing, electro accupuncture, icing, strapping, icing, strength, icing) which seems to be helping and keep running as much as possible but definitely no speed work. It's been time consuming and expensive, I've put in 2 PB massage weeks at work to raise funds.

Went and watched the SMH half on Sunday. Apart from Marty's victory only a few weeks after returning to running, my highlight was the guy that started his race at 17km's in 13th just ahead of the ever vigilant Chris Truscott who did a good job pointing out the cheating prick to the marshalls. I can't see him in the results so hopefully he has been dq'd. Super snapper Jane Miles took a great pic of him and he can be seen at the 20km mark in Andy Cross and Sam Walker's videos.

Congrats to all who ran, almost everybody ran a pb or at least an SMH pb. Watching is much harder than racing.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the PB tiger ;-) Will be interesting showdown for the $50.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought 3hrs was the easiest cash ever, but you are the red hot favourite to take the cash :-)

    DNS $2.20 fav
    <3hr $3.75
    >3hr $5.50
    DNF $11.00

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got faith in you Tiger, I reckon the $3.75 will shorten by race day if you keep up the impressive training. It's an interesting read but makes me feel extremely lazy! I hope the foot keeps improving and keep up the good work.

    I'm back playing some hockey but still running a bit and hoping to get into more at the end of the season if everything goes well, so might see you round the park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rabbits, glad you're playing hockey again. I went to my first game in 6 years last week, Mick was back in town and Akira wanted to see him. I like the look of the new rules, it was hard to tell for sure as The Briars were in an awful mismatch against South West Strikers. I'm considering having a hit again, how are you finding the new rules, do you think they would suit me?

    I'd still be putting my cash on the <3hr, just think DNS is hot favourite as there is a good chance i'll take some more stupid risks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's positives and negatives with the new rules. I thought I'd notice the change more than I have actually. The play on rule is good but you have to pick your times pretty carefully as it's easy to get isolated and picked off. The new freehit rules inside the 25 (not being able to go directly into the circle) almost offsets the positives of the play on rule. Trying to make the game safer is a good aim but I think this might be a step too far and takes away too many options for the attack, especially with long corners. You'd be better off taking long corners back on the 25 these days. If the defence break it down outside the circle, you might as well go back to half way and start again. I'm playing fairly ordinary hockey though and getting a bit frustrated but still good fun. I reckon it'd take you a good few games to work out when to play on and when to leave it, but it does speed it up. I'm glad SW Strikers are getting pumped by Briars in Prem 1 rather than us (UNSW) these days!

    Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to dread the long drive to Little Bay, the only consolation was the chance of scoring a few goals, although Luke Reilly's brilliance always left us feeling a little short changed. We found the ultimate solution though, we recruited him :-)

    Maybe i'm being nostalgic but i'm pretty sure the old UNSW Premier League team would give the current SWS guys a flogging.

    Hope the season goes well, let me know when you're playing The Briars at Cintra. We live just around the corner and Akira loved watching hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right, and Lukey always made the scorelines respectable! Massive talent.

    I don't think Briars field a team in our grade, but if we're at Cintra one arvo I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete