Sunday 29 May 2011

2 thumbs up

35km's - 2hr45min. In Centennial with Emma, happy to get through the run, made me confident that at worst i'll get to the finish line. The pace was very easy, but pleased to get it done.

Emma couldn't even drop me for a change, anyone care to predict what time she will run at Gold Coast based on 35km's on grass at 4:43km's? She does about 80km's p/w including 1x speed session as well as solid paced runs on Wednesday and Sunday.

I was talking to a client on Thursday who is a physio and a very fast runner. I said i'm happy with the progress but it just feels like I need an almighty hammering to finish it off. He then said, 'i've got a guy I see for last ditched help, you need to see...' I knew exactly what was coming next, we simultaneously said 'Jean-Louis'. I can't believe I didn't think of him 9 months ago when this all started. He is results driven, has amazing strength and fitness, his skills were perfect for this injury.

I went to see him yesterday morning, I came armed with my ice bucket, which I reckon saved me a few days recovery from the treatment. He got stuck into my heel with the end of a knife handle, apart from my skin burning I could really feel the scar tissue and the bone spurs (4 each foot) breaking up with his rapid fire and powerful frictions. Hard to tell how much they've improved, but I suspect it's significant. I'll know better once all the blistered skin heals and the inflammation from the battering settle down. I attempted to make another booking for this Friday, but he laughed because 'it's going to take alot longer than a week before my feet will be ready for his massage again', funny guy. Super impressed with his skills and grateful for the good result as well as learning a new technique. I'll aim to go and see him more often for experiential learning rather than waiting for emergencies.

2 thumbs up for the Jean-Louis and Caleb weekend combo treatment. I might take another rest day tomorrow to give the skin and fluid a chance to settle, but I'll decide based on how I feel. The last thing I feel like doing is resting, i'm so fresh from the minimal training that i've only been sleeping a few hours per night, during summer when training hard I need close to 8hrs avg to survive.

Anyway it's time to stop bitching about the feet, so you won't read about it again. It's time to start thinking positively, I don't want to line up with a crutch or security blanket excuse.

90 very slow km's for the week.

2 comments:

  1. Nah I loved it, same pain levels as running but with the reverse effect. When running the pain gets worse, with JL apart from the burning skin the pain was improving with every stroke.

    ReplyDelete