Sunday 27 March 2011

Marathon training starts tomorrow

Track season finished with a whimper, but I'm happy with my best season of 800m's and feel confident that I have significant improvement to come. In the meantime, rather than treating winter as base building I've decided to attack and set a goal race. I'm having a crack at the Gold Coast Marathon in July. I'll consider it my debut but I've finished – albeit barely and very slowly – two marathons about six years ago. A lot of km's have been run since, I finally think I'm ready to handle the training and prepare to race hard for the full distance.

I managed decent volume throughout the track season and have built a good base over the last six winters, so hopefully it won't take me long to work into the marathon training. I only have 14 weeks specific training ahead of me and at this stage not sure of a target time, but just either side of 2:40 seems realistic based on my half marathon pb.

No comments:

Post a Comment