Saturday 10 September 2011

Coastal Classic

3:17.01 87th, victory in the award for most positions lost special victims category.

Tough start, straight up a steep hill aggravated the plantars, by 2km I was in agony. Was with a good group almost to Gaerie Beach and was having fun taking leaps of faith with Jamie Stewart on some pretty hairy trails. Looks like the group finished between 4th Terrence Bell to about 15th. Pretty sure I would've dropped off that group regardless, they were going pretty well.

After that it was ugly, I couldn't even walk without cramping, so had a long sit down while I tried to get some fluids into me. The last 4km's from the final aid station included a couple of blistering 13min km's but somehow I managed to make it to the finish, to a heap of deserved sledging from the boys.

I always knew it was stupid to race given my feet and fitness levels, but i'm bloody glad I did it and got to the finish. Despite the slow time I couldn't have managed to finish one second quicker and fought hard for every step. It is an excellent event and I'll definitely be back for redemption next year.

Brilliant running by Tucks to smash the record by 17mins and win by 4mins. I didn't get to see him in action after the 2nd km, but he obviously has a talent for the trail runs and i'm declaring him hot favourite to win 6ft track next year.



Will take a rest week to see if the feet settle and reassess from there. Hopefully they're ok as I seem to have been getting some decent training done lately as long as I stay just below max effort...and apparently away from hills.


In the mean time, I love September, best weather of the year and footy finals plus Rugby World Cup.

2 comments:

  1. Tiger, you're a machine for finishing. Good work champ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate, a robot?

    Great run by you, really enjoyed the battle through the rough stuff, hope I can give you more more of a race next time.

    ReplyDelete